Power Automate cloud flows are widely used to automate many business processes and Email is one of most widely used action to send out notifications. Having said that, there will be definitely request to send the email from a generic address instead of the flow creator email address or the email action’s connection owner email address as shown below:
By default, the from Address of the mail generated from Power Automate uses the Flow creator email address as shown above under My connections. To send an email from generic email address, you can
- Create a Shared mailbox in exchange online (No license required) and grant access to the flow creator and then use any of the following action in the flow
- Send an email
- Send an email from a shared mailbox
- Use an existing Microsoft 365 group in
- Send an email
Setup Shared Mailbox in Exchange Online & Power Automate email actions:
Find steps below to create a shared mailbox in Exchange online & provide delegated permission (Send as) to the flow creator.
- Sign into Exchange Admin center. Go to Recipients > Shared and then click New Add Icon. Enter the Name, email address & domain for the shared mailbox and then click Create.
- Open the newly created mailbox which opens the mailbox details pane as shown below. Click Manage mailbox delegation.
- To use the action Send an email from a Shared Mailbox in the flow
- Grant Read and manage and Send As permissions by clicking Edit button>Add permissions and then select the user (Flow Creator) you want to grant permissions to.
- Find the flow action for reference
- To use the action Send an email in the flow. Grant Send As permissions by clicking Edit button>Add permissions and then select the user (Flow Creator) you want to grant permissions to.
- It takes approximately an hour for the permissions to be reflected so as to use in the Power Automate action.
Microsoft 365 group in Send an Email action:
If you have a Microsoft 365 group or a Microsoft Team, you can use the mailbox associated to group in Microsoft Flow for sending the email (Send as). Microsoft Teams creates a Microsoft 365 group whenever a team is created. Let us see how to enable a M365 group in order to use in Power Automate action Send an email action by providing Send as permissions to the flow creator or the email action’s connection owner. Find steps below to grant Send as permissions
- Sign into Exchange Admin center. Go to Recipients > Groups and then click the Microsoft 365 group you wish to be used in the flow. Go to Settings>Click Edit manage delegates
- Add the Flow creator email address and grant Send as permission
- Save changes
By default, the Microsoft 365 group are not capable to receiving emails from external senders. To enable it Check the box as shown on the above picture “Allow External senders to email this group”
If the permissions are not set right, you might get any of the following message in the flow
- You are not authorized to send mail on behalf of the specified sending account
- Specified folder not found. The error could potentially be caused by lack of access permissions. Please verify that you have full access to the mailbox
To send an email from third party application you can use the trigger “When a HTTP request is received” with the email action. This trigger generates an anonymous API endpoint which could be used on applications to trigger the flow. Hope you have found this informational. If you are visiting my blog for the first time, please do look at my other blogposts.
Do you like this article?
Subscribe to my blog with your email address using the widget on the right side or on the bottom of this page to have new articles sent directly to your inbox the moment I publish them.
One thought on “Send email from a common mailbox in Power Automate using Microsoft Teams email address or Shared Mailbox”
I have a slightly different use case. I want to create a flow where i am receiving email in shared mailbox from another grp mailbox which is of my client. The problem is, the from field is not taking any shared mailbox id which is not of my org. However it takes the individual mail ids which are outside of my org. What can i do to solve this.
Thanks in advance